Everything You Need To Know About Garden Rooms
Why should I get a garden room? How much value will it add to my property and how much do these builds cost?
Worrying about elderly relatives and friends can be disheartening and leave you with constant anxiety. One of the best ways to keep them close-by is with a garden annexe. Annexes are a turn-key solution for year round living, without the need for home extensions or renovations, they’re simple and cost-effective. Care homes for the elderly are becoming increasingly expensive, and there are thousands of elderly people who cannot afford to fork out for them, or do not want to go into a care home.
Last year the average cost of a care home for a year equated to a huge £44,512. This is an immense cost that equates to the same price as one of our annexe buildings. Our annexe buildings are a permanent living solution that can be positioned in your back garden, with all of the basics included, this would cost not much over the yearly cost of a care home. Our annexes have a 10-year structural guarantee and are built to last. With a permanent solution, you can have your loved ones close-by for a more cost-effective price, and make living simple with one-level living.
Outbuildings are generally considered to be permitted development under Class E, and do not need Planning Permission, subject to a number of limits and conditions.
The most important factors are:
1) That the building is no higher than 2.5m from the bottom of the building to the top of the roof
2) That you do not take up more than 50% of your garden area with this or any other buildings
3) It is not to be used for living or sleeping accommodation
1) Building Regulations do not usually apply unless you want to sleep in it
2) Under 15m2 internal floor area can be installed close to any rear boundary
3) Over 15m2 and up to 30m2 needs to be a minimum 1m from any boundary
If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed, garden room or summerhouse in your garden, Building Regulations (except Part P for Electrical works) will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres INTERNALLY and contains NO sleeping accommodation.
Included in the price of a garden room from Green Retreats:
- Professional Installation
- Concrete Mini Pile Foundations
- Premium grade insulation in the walls, roof and floor
- A 2.3m French or Sliding Door
- An Opening Lozenge Window
- Premium Double Glazing including Pilkington K Optiwhite Toughened Glass and Swisspacer.
- Insurance Grade Secure Locking.
- Maintenance-free Cladding
- Maintenance-free Resin rooftop
- Internal and External Lighting
- Internal electrics including 3 Double Sockets
- Stylish Oak Laminate Flooring
- Soft Sheen UV Stable Melamine Walls
The cost of your garden room extension will depend on the style you’re going for. Two of the most common types of garden room extensions are conservatories and orangeries. Garden room style Range. Average conservatory garden rooms are between £10,250 £16,750. Average orangery garden rooms are between £30,000 £35,000. Our costs are ballpark averages. The average cost of an orangery ranges from £30,000 to £35,000. To find out more details about building an orangery, check out our orangery cost guide.